Tuesday

The "Toad" that got away

Lately we have taken some time to get out into nature with the fishing poles.
About 6 weeks ago Tyson's dad called giddy about his day fishing at Bear Lake. He had just reeled in a 14 pound cutthroat. Yes, 14 pound trout. Of course, our p
lans changed and we headed up there after work Saturday and spent Sunday on the lake. I was beautiful and we ended up with some really nice fish...although none quite like that. In fact, if Wes hadn't caught a lake trout the same size I might have called fish story on Mike, but there it was.
Two weeks ago we headed up the canyon from Challis, ID for 5 days of Steelhead fishing. Last year Tyson allowed me to tag along on this fishing trip with his Dad and brother. I think the only reason I was invited back this year was because they didn't have to eat hot dogs the whole time. For whatever the reason, I really loved it both years. Last year I caught one more than Ty. This year one less...but I will argue that because of my big belly weight pressing on my feet I also didn't fish as much as Tyson and if I had I would have once again out-fished my husband. It was so nice to be up there on the beautiful Salmon river. I took a couple books and finished two that I had been reading. I loved Edgar Sawtelle...but it has a plot very similar to Hamlet so be warned if you plan to pick it up.

Mike's friend Terry was up there too and was so sweet to take me under his wing and show me a few fishing tips. He is a great fisher, and a great teacher!! One tip he had was a secret spot he fishes from. When I dropped the jig in the water a huge fish took it. I mean huge!! Tyson said it was bigger than any Steelhead he has seen. For those of you, like myself, who don't know a big fish is referred to as a "toad." My toad unfortunately was a little upset by the hook, understandably, and jumped out of the water twisting and turning and running the line out. He was a smart old fish, and he twisted the hook right out of his mouth. :( In the end, I did hook the biggest fish, but didn't get it to the shore so I can't technically say I outfished Tyson this year, but the five of us that were there know the truth.
On a side note: a) we left our camera sitting on the table at home so until I borrow Mike's I can't show off our pictures. b) As we visited my grandpa last Sunday he informed us that he cannot remember a time that his wife did not out-fish him. Then again, I do have her middle name...Marie. AnnMarie also was given that name so Tyson may just have to get used to the idea of his wife and soon daughter out-fishing him. :)

No comments: