Friday

Earl's Jam

I know Grandpa misses Grandma Billie very much and lonliness makes it so easy to become bitter and self absorbed. One thing he has done to spend his time is learn to make jam. Once he started he went gun-ho. He makes the usual strawberry, raspberry, peach, apricot and the not so usual pomegranate, choke cherry and a variety of mixes. Once he has this jam he keeps some with him always. I love going places with him and watching people around him. They all know him because he is so friendly and genuine. They also all know his jam. He gives it to: Family, friends, church members, waitresses, cashiers, people at the senior center, business owners and anyone else he might run across. I went to breakfast with him once and instead of a tip he gave the waitress a bottle of jam. I was mortified, but it meant so much to the waitress that her usual customer (who usually tips money) would take the time to make her jam. She was so touched. Over and over I watch him affect people's life for the positive. Over and over I watch him and say to myself when I'm that age I hope I'm not onry at people like most older people who are in some pain and/or discomfort. I hope that I can be just a glimpse of this man.

No comments: