Friday

Tyson and Grandpa

Sometimes we get so busy rushing from one place to the other, trying to squeeze that one last thing in or take that phone call that we forget to think about the important small things in life. A few months ago, I took my periodic day trip to Evanston, WY to visit Grandpa Earl. We have always been close and when I go visit he is very excited. I usually offer to drive him around so I can “get back sooner” and don’t have to be bothered with his pace of life. My last visit I took Tyson with me and suggested he drive when we got there. He did this and to my dismay he drove 20 under the speed limit (as my Grandpa does) and pulled over many times to let the other busy traffic get by.

When I finally calmed down enough to remember I was here to see my Grandpa, I had time to sit and listen to stories of his younger life I never would have heard if I didn’t slow down and pay attention to the small things like holding his hand as we drove down the road enjoying our time together. Driving home I couldn’t help the tears than snuck out as I smiled and couldn’t remember the last time I so enjoyed my visit. It just took a few minutes for Tyson to realize just how great this man is!
Now that he is in the hospital I think the only thing that pulled him through was the promise Tyson made to him that once he was better he would once again be able to go hunting (from the truck) and fishing. These men are two peas in a pod...no wonder I love Tyson so much :)

No comments: