Friday

My Hero

It's not often you come across a person that you admire so much you can title them hero. When you do interact with such a person I don't think your life is ever the same. I have one such man in my life that we both have been thinking about an awful awful lot lately...Grandpa Earl. What an amazing man. Unfortunately he is in the hospital and has been for three weeks. He will be 89 years old December 1st and is strong enough to survive a valve replacement surgery.
Nov. 2 he was admitted to the VA with chest pain that turned out to be a narrowing of his aortic valve (his valve was only the diameter of a needle). He explained to the cardiac staff that he has lived alone since Grandma Billie passed away 15 years ago and needs his independence. He was a construction superintendent (I think that was his title, but you get the jist of it) and is a strong old bugger.
I just can't stop thinking of the life he lead. He married my Grandma Billie (whom I was named after...we both have the middle name Marie). They enjoyed many activities together that i enjoy doing with my husband. Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Traveling, Picnics, Hiking, Family events and good food.
Two nights ago I stopped at my parents to help them with an event they had planned and sitting on their table was a stack of get well cards for Grandpa. Even though I have a lot in common with him, this is what I most remember...his affect on people. Last night we almost lost this man who is so dear to me, and I just want to share some antidotes that I remember of him.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Sorry about your grandpa... sounds like a great guy! I hope he gets feeling better soon... LOL

Heidi Lynn said...

I'm truly sitting here with tears in my eyes reading all of these posts. I know I only spent a little bit of time with him, but I can honestly say there are few people I have met that I admire more. He is an absolute joy to be around! It makes me so sad to hear that he is sick! And I'm sorry for you too, I know how much you love him. We had a lot of fun that day we went up to Evanston together. :) Let me know if there's anything I can do.